Unanswered topics Active topics

Children struggling with mother tongue language

How do we get children to learn to read? How do we teach them two languages? Discuss your children's development topics here.
joeyy

Children struggling with mother tongue language

Post by joeyy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:31 pm

Any mummies/daddies facing the same issue as me?

My going to primary 1 girl still have difficulties recognizing Chinese character words. She is more into English language than Chinese. Despite she is trying her best to express in Chinese during conversation times, however comes to writing, she totally lost interest. I am worried about her going to Primary 1, and she will not be able to catch up with the rest of the children.

Any good advice here? :( :(

motherhood

Re: Children struggling with mother tongue language

Post by motherhood » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:19 pm

Lower primary can be coped. But upper level is a real challenge. The essay writings and main papers are tough. So it's important to speak to them in Mandarin at home most of the time to create the environment for the love of the language and habit. Many get stuck at Oral exams...as they are unable to express themselves or the answers.

joeyy

Re: Children struggling with mother tongue language

Post by joeyy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:34 am

motherhood wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:19 pm
Lower primary can be coped. But upper level is a real challenge. The essay writings and main papers are tough. So it's important to speak to them in Mandarin at home most of the time to create the environment for the love of the language and habit. Many get stuck at Oral exams...as they are unable to express themselves or the answers.
How to make Mandarin more interesting for them? Especially comes to writing and reading aloud. Whenever I want to read a chinese book for her, she will just say she dont want. If English, she will slightly be more interested :?: :?: