Unanswered topics Active topics

Should I give my helper a raise

Domestic helpers and nannies have become a part of our Singapore culture. Discuss how we can manage and communicate effectively with our helpers at home.
Abcdef

Should I give my helper a raise

Post by Abcdef » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:16 pm

My helper of two years told me she wants to go to a new employer as they will give her higher salary. I pay her $650 per month as that is what was requested when we signed the contract 2 years ago but I have sent her home to Philippines twice since, paid for her dental work and gave her extra $300 per month during circuit breaker (as she was looking after our young daughter whilst childcare was closed). I actually don’t mind paying her higher salary (especially if that is the market rate) and I understand she is here to make money to support her children but I feel somewhat betrayed. Should I look for a new helper (not easy given the current shortage) or just give her a raise? She is good with my child (although it’s only 2hours a day she takes care of her)

motherhood

Re: Should I give my helper a raise

Post by motherhood » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:04 pm

Yes you should try to give her a small raise, I am not sure how much the other employer is offering, but offer her a small increase and see if she accepts. I know your feeling of betrayal, i've been thru the same, except mine was not honest with me but just said she was going back to family but half a year later she worked for an expat family. At least your helper was honest with you.

However I know now there are issues with new incoming helpers coming to Singapore to work as permits may be difficult to get? Due to covid19. So I guess if you could possibly hold her for another 2 years, try to work it out as it might be difficult changing helpers during this period.

Lybb

Post by Lybb » Fri May 27, 2022 4:12 pm

Will take a while for the new helper to get use to the needs and expectations of your family. Best to let her stay

motherhood

Post by motherhood » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:53 am

I Would prefer to keep the helper than hire a new one..because familiarization and trust is there. And no guarantees the new one will be good, sometimes they do give problems to employers.