Unanswered topics Active topics

Good Nutrition for Preschoolers

michelletan83898

Good Nutrition for Preschoolers

Post by michelletan83898 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:39 am

Scheduling meals and snacks help ensure a healthy diet for preschoolers. Problem is, young children, don't always follow a rigid eating plan. Illnesses, including ear infections and colds; fatigue; and growth spurts, can temporarily change the frequency and amount your young child consumes.

Healthy between-meal snacks help fill in nutrient gaps in a little one's diet. The best snacks are nutritious foods eaten in amounts that take the edge off your son or daughter's hunger. Don't worry if they're not ravenous at their next meal.

"When you offer nutritious snacks, your child gets what they need, so it doesn't matter if they don't eat a lot at dinner," says Mitchell.

Feed your child in a designated area, preferably a kitchen or dining room table. Sitting down to eat, and only to eat, helps children pay attention to their feelings of fullness, Mitchell says.

Try these nutritious and delicious snack options for your preschooler:

-1/2 sandwich
-Well-cooked vegetables and low-fat dip
-Whole grain crackers and cheese
-Yogurt
-Fruit smoothies
-Milk
-Chopped hard-boiled eggs or scrambled eggs
-Dry cereal; cereal with milk
-Low-fat microwave popcorn (starting at age 4).

motherhood

Re: Good Nutrition for Preschoolers

Post by motherhood » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:25 am

Thanks for sharing! It's very helpful!

Perhaps we can also share family recipes...cakes, desserts, one pot meals etc..

Would be useful for us mummies.

pikachu

Post by pikachu » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:55 pm

I love making scrambled eggs and all sorts of eggs for my kids to bring to school. They're healthy and easy on the go.
A very busy parent .... I have no time for myself.

Alan2022

Post by Alan2022 » Sat May 21, 2022 2:17 pm

I would recommend that you record your child's response to different food.
Whatever food a child rejects there would likely be alternative choices to ensure a good balance of nutrition based on your pediatrician experience.
It's important to be aware of changes in behaviour for young children that may not communicate clearly especially if allergies or other health issues are a potential source for changes.
I would recommend that you be aware of responses by parents while eating food in front of your child. The child will often replicate the responses from parents.